After you have started using TalentLyft, and you are going through the implementation process, there is one thing to keep in mind, and that is the data migration of your old candidate database.
NOTE: This isn’t necessary, but it will enable you to keep your old candidates and import them to TalentLyft.
There are three ways of importing your old data:
Uploading candidates' CVs directly into TalentLyft
This is the easiest way, if it is available. This option can be used if you have a folder of CVs, which you can easily import to TalentLyft. When uploading CVs, TalentLyft will parse your candidates’ CVs and will create candidate profiles and applications. This option can be done in bulk, up to 50 CVs at a time.
Using our API
This option will be the most time consuming for you, but you will have the most freedom when importing your old data. You can import, even the smallest bit of information about your old candidates. API docs is here.
Importing candidate data using a CSV file
You will need to make a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file containing the candidate details and a ZIP archive with the same candidates’ CVs. Once you have done that, contact us and send us the files so we could upload them into TalentLyft.
Data migration is currently provided for different applicant tracking systems. In order to facilitate this migration, a complete well-structured export of your job and candidate data must be provided. Contact your previous ATS to request important information about your data export, such as how to obtain it, what data it includes, and how long it will take to receive it.
Importing candidate data using a CSV file
Mapping your data
Before you start compiling the data and filling in the CSV file, you will need to map your existing data. Select which information would you like to import into TalentLyft and determine in which column will that value go in the CSV file.
How to fill your CSV file
The CSV file opens in Microsoft Excel and all you need to do is fill the required information. The required information for you to fill in is Name and Email, everything else is optional.
NOTE: You can find our import CSV file template here.
If you only add these fields, TalentLyft will create candidates without CVs.
To add CVs, you also need to add the Resume field.
The following fields are available for you to fill:
- First Name - candidate's first name
- Last name - candidate
- Job Title – current position of the candidate you wish to import
- Email – contact email address of the candidate
- Phone – contact phone number of the candidate
- Address – candidate's address
- Job – to which job do you wish to import the candidate
- Stage – to which stage of the hiring pipeline for the selected job you wish to import the candidate
- Disqualified – is this candidate disqualified or still active
- Disqualified at – candidate disqualification date
- Disqualified Reason – reason for the disqualification, if the candidate is disqualified
- Created – when was the candidate created (YYYY-MM-DD)
- Summary – candidate summary
- Note – which information would you like to keep, regarding this candidate, but can’t write anywhere else
- Skills – skills that a candidate possesses, that can be useful and you want to keep
- Tags – values that can distinguish one candidate from another. Something specific that can help you search and filter candidates easier
- Cover Letter – candidate’s cover letter text
- Resume – name of the candidate’s resume file
- File – name of the candidate’s file
NOTE: When filling in the Resume field, keep in mind, the information you enter here needs to match the name of that candidate’s CV, that you added to the ZIP archive.
The most important thing, when saving your CSV file, is to save it in UTF-8 format. That way, TalentLyft will be able to recognize all the characters.
Creating a ZIP archive with candidates’ CVs
Put together all the CVs that you want to match with the candidates added to the CSV file, put them in the same folder and archive it into a ZIP file.
NOTE: Name of the CVs have to match the name of the candidate's Resume field in CSV file.
Sending us the data
Once you have compiled all the data, created a CSV file and a ZIP file for your candidates’ CVs, send it to us so we could import the data to TalentLyft. You can contact us via email, or if it is a larger file, upload it somewhere and send us the link.
NOTE: When importing your old candidates and their data, we need to import them to a job in TalentLyft. When sending us the data, please specify to which job you want us to import those candidates.
Importing candidate data from Legacy ATS
1. Request your full data export from your legacy ATS
NOTE: Any data created in your legacy ATS, after the data export has been created, will not be included in the migration and will have to be manually added to Track if you would like to retain this information.
2. Please contact our Customer success team to start the data migration process.
Reviewing the imported data
To make sure, all the data is imported correctly, after our Customer success team imports the requested job and candidate information, please review the information.
If there are any issues with the imported data, contact our Customer success team.